HOW TO GET ON A PADDLE BOARD
There are two main ways to launch from a paddle board, dock and beach. I’m going to go over how to get on your board from both locations.
Before you get on make sure the fin under the board is behind you. Never in the front.
Launching From the Dock
To launch from a dock it’s best to start by dropping down to your knees. Follow this step by step process if you don’t want to fall off by accident.
- Set the board down against the edge of the dock in the water.
- Hold the paddle with your right hand if the board is on your left side.
- Drop down to your knees.
- Reach across with your left hand and set it on the board.
- Swing your left leg over and place it on the left side of the board handle
- Bring your right leg over and place it on the right side of the board handle.
- Use your right hand to push off the dock and get yourself started.
*If you start with the board on your right side just reverse the left and rights from what was said above.
Launching From the Beach
Starting from the beach is actually much easier. Take the board and head out into the water.
The key thing to keep in mind here is make sure you are knee-deep in the water before mounting the board.
Getting on too early can cause you to sink the fin into the sand making it hard to move.
The other possibility is getting on too soon and sinking the fin down onto rocks, potentially damaging your fin or your fin box. Damaging your fin or fin box ruins the integrity of the board.